Toxicity of Acetonitrile

Go down

Toxicity of Acetonitrile

Post  disney on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:37 am

Acetonitrile has only a modest toxicity, but it can be metabolised to produce hydrogen cyanide, which is the source of the observed toxic effects. Cases of acetonitrile poisoning in humans are rare but not unknown, by inhalation, ingestion and by skin absorption. The symptoms, which do not usually appear for several hours after the exposure, include breathing difficulties, slow pulse rate, nausea, and vomiting: Convulsions and coma can occur in serious cases, followed by death from respiratory failure. The treatment is as for cyanide poisoning, with oxygen, sodium nitrite, and sodium thiosulfate among the most commonly-used remedies. Acetonitrile has been used in formulations for nail polish remover, despite its low but significant toxicity.

disney

Posts : 41
Join date : 2010-04-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum