The Dangers of Nail Polish

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Dangers of Nail Polish

Post  lilyqianweiku on Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:24 am

Many women like to paint their fingernails with nail polish. According to the different colors of nail polish, different kinds of temperament are expressed. However, many women just like the beauty caused by nail polish and do not know the dangers of nail polish at all. In fact, nail polish is a kind of substance which is harmful to the human health.

Most of nail polish contains many toxic substances which threaten the human health. No matter how expensive the nail polish is, it is essential to pay attention to the toxins contained in it. After you paint the nails with nail polish, you should not fetch anything with your hands directly so as to avoid making the toxic materials touch the food. Some people even think that it is healthy to use nail polish when a layer of base oil has been painted on the nails. In fact, the nature of base oil is as same as that of nail polish. Base oil can never reduce the harms caused by nail polish at all.

Generally speaking, nail polish is composed of two kinds of substances. One is solid components like pigment and flash materials, and the other is liquid solvent components like acetone, ethyl acetate, phthalic acid esters, formaldehyde and so on. There are mainly two kinds of pigment, namely natural one and artificial one. Artificial pigment is rather popular. But most of artificial pigment is toxic and seriously threatens the human health. In fact, there are also many harmful materials contained in natural pigment. These harmful materials can be reduced to some degree through purification processing. All the components of liquid solvent materials can endanger the human health. For example, phthalic acid esters can affect the normal hormone balance, causing great damage to reproduction and leading to many other health problems. Benzene and formaldehyde are both carcinogenic substances.

In order to make nail polish dry rapidly, a large number of acetone and ethyl acetate which are easy to volatilize are added into nail polish. However, when these two kinds of components volatilize, the pungent smell can be produced, which can seriously pollute the indoor air. If people breathe such a kind of smell for a long time, serious harms can be produced to threaten the nervous system. In addition, if organic solvents are used to paint the fingernails once and again, the fingernails will become crisp and grey.


lilyqianweiku

Posts: 62
Join date: 2010-11-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum